Friday, October 3, 2008

Mmm...Mmm...Good!

As I smelled the Sweet Potato Meatloaf that I made cooking in the oven this evening, I decided that I *had* to share it with you! It is a sweet, very unique type of meatloaf...not your Mom's meatloaf for sure!

I remembered to grab some pics only moments before my plate was clean!

Here is the recipe:
INGREDIENTS

* 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed (or you can use 1 package of the instant)
* 1 pound ground turkey breast
* 1 large egg
* 1 small sweet onion, finely chopped
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1/4 cup honey barbecue sauce
* 1/4 cup ketchup
* 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
* 2 slices whole-wheat bread, torn into small crumbs (or bread crumbs~ about 1/2 cup)
* 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
* 1 tablespoon salt, or to taste


DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 2 quart baking dish.

2. Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the sweet potato, and cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Drain the sweet potatoes, and mash or whip until smooth. (Or make instant sweet potatoes according to box directions)

3. Mix the ground turkey together with the egg, sweet onion, garlic, barbecue sauce, ketchup, Dijon mustard, and whole wheat bread crumbs in a large mixing bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the sweet potatoes, and stir until evenly combined. If the mixture seems too wet, add more bread crumbs. Use your hands to form the turkey mixture into a loaf shape and place in the prepared baking dish.

4. Bake in the preheated oven 1 hour. Slice the loaf to serve. ENJOY!

2 comments:

Lisa and Curtis said...

This looks so delish! I love sweet potatoe so I will definitly try this soon!

Anonymous said...

I will definitely have to try this recipe this week!!

Kim