Friday, April 17, 2009

Birth Story...3 years later

As I approach the 3 year mark of Devin's birth I though it would be an appropriate time to share my birth story. My experience was a scary one. It was not "normal" in any way. I was quite traumatized by it, and really didn't even speak of it for quite some time. Here it is now, the best I can recall.....

My son, Devin Michael, arrived Monday May 1st at 1:35 am. He weighed 6 pounds 7 ounces and was 19 1/2 inches long.

I went to the Elliot Hospital on Sunday afternoon with a broken water and no contractions. I had woken up Saturday morning in a puddle. I thought, hmmm either my water broke or I wet my pants. I called my mom to see what she thought (like she would know over the phone but if you know our relationship you know that I call her for everything). She said I should call the doctor and that she would come and pick me up since Erick was working 45 minutes away. My mom brought me to my doctor's appointment but the doctor said that all 3 tests indicated that my water had not broken. GREAT, I peed my pants!

I hung out with my Mom all day. We went to my Grandmother's house and out for lunch. I really couldn't do too much though because every time I stood up I began leaking again. Another call to the doctor and she said I could go to L & D if I wanted..... I decided to wait (looking back, I should have gone in Saturday!)

Sunday Erick and I were driving around (it was an absolutely gorgeous day and I was feeling fantastic!) when I felt SOAKED! We stopped at a Dunkin Donuts to dry me off and then headed home. We decided that we should go to L & D to get checked out. Once we were there the nurse said, "You are not leaving. That baby is coming." Our sweet boy was on his way!

Since I was having NO contractions, I was given cervadil tablets to help soften the cervix and get my body ready. I began having cramping/contractions in the early evening. My little guy decided that he didn't like labor very much and his heart rate began decelerating. This happened a few times and every time a team of nurses and doctors would RUSH into my room. It was impressive, but I became bed-ridden quickly (can you say bed pan? ewww). I was not allowed to even move positions without permission. This was not how I'd pictured labor....

Around 1 am I was 3cm and ready for the epidural. About 5 minutes after the epi went in, my baby's heart rate went from 160 to about 50. My room was RUSHED again. The nurses and doctor were not able to bring it back up as in the past few times. At about 1:20 it was decided I needed an emergency c-section. It all happened so quickly!

Erick was not able to come into the OR until I was prepped and they knew for sure that they would not need to sedate me. I laid there on the OR table crying, not knowing what was going to happen to my baby. I heard the doctor and her assistant looking for Devin's heartbeat one last time and, unable to find it, they gave up and began my c-section. I thought, "I am going home without my baby!" Finally Erick came in and held my hand and talked me. It was comforting to have him there but we were both scared.

Baby Devin was out by 1:35am. The cord had wrapped around his head twice with a knot in it. Every time I contracted and Devin headed down the canal, the cord had been tightening on him and causing the loss of heart rate.

He came out healthy, with a soft cry. I have never been so relieved in my life. It was so incredibly scary.
Devin did not need to go to NICU, thankfully, and I was able to start breastfeeding as soon as we went into the recovery room. I did not sleep a wink that night. I was too worked up from being scared and shocked and excited, all of the emotions that were running through me. I lay there in my hospital bed thinking and shaking and crying and listening to Erick sleep.

I called my parents as soon as I could (about 2:30 am if I remember correctly) and waited until 5:15 to call my best friend. I think we waited until about 7 am to start making the rest of the calls.

My parents were the first to come and see our new addition. I was awake for them. I was in and out of sleep for the rest of the day, as you can imagine!

I am so thankful for what God has given us. We have a healthy and happy boy. I am blessed with Devin each and every day. Thank you Lord!


Zoey's Mommy said...

Oh wow!! I was so scared for you just reading this! I can't imagine what it must have been like to live it.

Oh, Devin was (and still is!) such a little cutie!

Rebecca said...

That brought tears to my eyes. How scary. What a great little boy you have now. I can't believe he and Katie will be 3 soon! It went by so fast!

Stacey said...

Wow what a scary story. It is so hard for me to believe that they are turning 3.

Joanna said...

I can see why you might want to avoid the topic. How scary it must have been. I hope sharing it with us has helped to maek the memory a little easier to bear.

Karla said...

Thanks Ladies. I wanted to have a record of Devin's birth and I figured this would be a good place because I do intend to attempt to turn my blog into a personal book someday..... (as Laura did...)

Mel said...

WOW, I had no idea you experienced such a scary birth with Devin! He is also just 1 day older than Analese! This is a great place to document that special story, wow . . . 3 years old, where did the time go?

Kara said...

Wow, that is scary! Can't believe they are almost 3!

Steph said...

Wow, I am so glad everything turned out fine w/Devin's delivery after the scary experiences you went through.

When I went into labor my water broke too, but when I went to the hospital they checked me out and said it had not. But, I refused to leave the hospital because I knew it had been my water, and soon after that the contractions kicked in.

Fullerton Family said...

Wow, how scary! I'm totally about to bawl for you. I am so grateful for you that everything turned out ok, and that you have a beautiful baby boy!